Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Making of "The Wrath of Bahamut"

This is the original painting of the angry Bahamut flying over Al'taieu. It's in bad condition like the other paintings found inside the Temple of Uggalepih.

I started drawing this picture by blowing up a copy of the original painting. I used a popular vector illustration program to trace over the pattern above Bahamut's head. I added color to the vector shape, then exported it to an image editing program to add more detail.

Drawing Bahamut was particularly difficult because it was hard to find a good quality reference photo that matches the proportions of his body and his peculiar posture as seen in the painting. Using Altana View, I created a lot of reference pictures to get the details just right.

I used the FFXI Map Tool to create reference images of the actual in-game model for Al'taieu. Using these images, I added as much detail as I could to the structure of the Celestial Capital. The original painting is very small and all sratched up so it was a pain to draw this. The capital as depicted in the painting is not an accurate representation of the actual in-game model, so I had to find a common ground between the two.

No comments: